The original building was a hotel that opened in 1833 known as Major Pope’s Railroad Hotel. In 1837 a tailor business moved into the north half of the building while a cabinet business was located in the south half. In 1848 a clothing store was opened here. After the Civil War, a successful dry goods business owner purchased the building and remodeled it to its present look. The owner moved west around 1900 and the business was purchased by D. O. Matthews who changed the name to the Palace Drug Store.
The Palace Drug Store installed a soda fountain in 1906 and became the meeting place for local teenagers. In late 1940-1950, Harvey Robbins, a Deshler High School student who frequented the Palace met another Deshler student, Joyce Ann McKinney, at The Palace. Today they are known as Harvey and Joyce Ann Robbins.
The Robbins dreamed of restoring the Palace to the days they remembered. Robbins Property Development, Inc. purchased the building and began this restoration in 2000. The Palace Ice Cream and Sandwich Shop opened on May 23, 2001. The upstairs rooms were restored and are now the offices of Robbins Property Development, Inc. Ideal Drug Store now resides in the back of the building.
One of the first businesses on Colbert Corner was a general store owned by Pitman Colbert, the adopted son of Chickasaw Chief George Colbert from whom Colbert County got its name. Tradition says it was on this corner that Chief Colbert made a speech concerning the Indian removal and why the white man should not do this.
The Colberts were sent west during the Indian removal. There are stories of Chief Pitman Colbert having a wagon special made for the trip so it could stand the weight of the barrels of gold he took with him.
After the Civil War, there was a store located here where school kids bought school supplies and lunches. The wooden structure was torn down and replaced with the present structure after the turn of the century. The lower story was used for a store while the upstairs was used for offices.
Robbins Properties bought the building and began remodeling in 2002. Today the building is known as ColdWater Books with a coffee bar located inside the bookstore and apartments in the upstairs part of the building.
Tuscumbia was laid out with a strip of land around it known as the Commons to be used by the people and not for private use. Included was an area referred to as Spring Commons located around the big spring and Spring Creek.
In 1825, the Spring Creek Navigation Co. was formed to help keep the creek clear of obstructions. The town growing on the hill above the spring was gradually clearing the land of natural cover. When rains came, mud and other obstructions were washed into the spring below. To help stop the filling of the channel from gullies in the area, a levee and wall was built on the north side of the spring from Main Street to the bluff opposite the junction of Spring Creek.
In 1872, the city voted to open Spring Commons to industry. In the next few years, mills, an ice company and cotton gin were built on Spring Commons.
On April 27, 2001, Robbins Property Development announced plans to rework Spring Park. The first plan was to build a waterfall at the head of the spring. The waterfall was to be the largest man-made natural rock waterfall in the world. The waterfall was designed by Audwin McGee who oversaw its construction. Next Robbins Property Development drained the lake formed by the spring. The lake was dredged and construction began on the water feature. Landscaping began around the spring and waterfall. All was completed for the grand reopening of the park in April of 2002. A petrified lycopod tree stump and petrified conifer tree trunk were unveiled. The lights were first turned on behind the falls and the Princess Im-Mi-Ah-Key Fountain put on its show.